Yankees’ Jose Caballero makes costly error in first game off injury list as Anthony Volpe sat

58 minutes ago 3

Now that José Caballero is healthy and Anthony Volpe is still on the roster, the Yankees have to figure out how to use both infielders.

In Friday’s series opener against the Rays in The Bronx, Caballero — in his first game off the injured list after recovering from a fractured middle finger — was at shortstop and Volpe was not in the lineup.

Caballero’s defense impressed the Yankees at short this season, but he made an error on Chandler Simpson’s grounder to lead off the top of the eighth and the Yankees leading by a run.

It sparked a four-run rally by Tampa Bay in the 4-2 loss by the Yankees.

“It’s a play he’s got to make,’’ Aaron Boone said.

Caballero noted it was a low liner that was a bit of a short hop, but agreed he should have come up with the ball.

Before the game, Boone declined to name either the regular starter at the spot — and added that Volpe would get work in at second base, a position he hasn’t played in a regular season game since a pair of minor league games in 2021.

“On days Anthony is not playing [shortstop], we’ll have him working a little at second base,” Boone said.

That work, Volpe said, has not begun.

José Caballero reacts on the field in the seventh inning of the
Yankees’ 4-2 loss to the Rays on May 23, 2026 at the Stadium. Corey Sipkin for the NY POST

“I’ll be ready to go,’’ Volpe said before Friday’s loss. “Whatever the team needs.”

There had been thought that Volpe could be optioned back to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre with Caballero in the lineup again.

Instead, the Yankees opted to send outfield prospect Spencer Jones back to SWB after he mostly struggled at the plate.

José Caballero looks on from the dugout during the Yankees’ loss to the Rays. Robert Sabo for NY Post

For now, Boone said of shortstop, “I’ll make the decision every day.”

The manager spoke to both Caballero and Volpe and acknowledged there will be unpopular decisions.

“Both guys are gonna play,’’ Boone said. “[Caballero’s] versatility comes into play again with Anthony here.”

The Yankees acquired Caballero from Tampa Bay last year because of his ability to play all over the field and wreak havoc on the bases.

When Caballero took over as the starting shortstop as Volpe recovered from offseason surgery to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder, though, he hit and fielded better than even the Yankees believed he would.

Boone said Friday: “These things have a way of working themselves out. It’s a good situation to be in because they’re two players we feel can play vital roles in us winning games. … It’s not gonna be a perfect scenario every single day.”

Anthony Volpe heads back to the dugout in the seventh inning of the Yankees’ loss to the Blue Jays on May 21, 2026. Corey Sipkin for the NY POST

Go beyond the box score with the Bombers

Sign up for Inside the Yankees by Greg Joyce, exclusively on Sports+.

Thank you

Asked about his potential role, Volpe said, “I don’t write the lineup. I’m ready to go, I’ll put my work in.”

Volpe, in his return to the majors, has had some encouraging games at the plate and defensively — as well as on the bases — but he entered Friday hitless in his last eight plate appearances with three strikeouts and botched a double play ball at short in Thursday’s loss to Toronto.

Read Entire Article