Iran’s president admitted Monday that the Islamic republic has “suffered harm” from the joint US-Israeli attacks as he urged officials to “face reality” of the war — but vowed that his country would not surrender.
President Masoud Pezeshkian spoke before the Government Information Council and condemned popular talking points that Iran is thriving despite harsh economic blows dealt by the conflict.
“Officials should avoid any tone or remarks that create division, but we must also face reality: It is not the case that we have not suffered harm,” Pezeshkian said.
“Anyone in a position of leadership must speak honestly and transparently to their society and their people,” he added.
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian delivers a speech during an inspection visit to the Ministry of Sports and Youth in Tehran, Iran on April 19, 2026. Anadolu via Getty Images“Misleading information, false messaging, or portraying a reality in which ‘they are collapsing while we are prospering’ is unacceptable.
‘The truth is that both we and others face challenges,” the Iranian president concluded.
Before the war even broke out, Iran’s economy had been spiraling with the value of its rial currency plummeting and inflation at an all-time high.
With mass layoffs taking place and the price of basic food and goods continuing to soar, the Islamic regime has continued to fail to improve the situation, which has only gotten worse due to the war.
Despite the challenges, Pezeshkian said that Iran would not bow to the pressure as America’s naval blockade continues to stifle the country’s already ailing economy.
“We will not sacrifice our country’s dignity and honor for comfort or convenience,” he said. “We have valid reasons and clear justification, and we are fully capable of defending our nation’s rights with strength, backed by our people.”

19 hours ago
4
English (US)