Iran diplomat claims ‘we are ready to discuss’ nuclear program if US is prepared to ease sanctions

1 hour ago 2

WASHINGTON — Iran is prepared to “discuss” its nuclear program if the US is ready to lift some of its crippling sanctions on the regime in exchange, the country’s deputy foreign minister said over the weekend.

Majid Takht-Ravanchi, Tehran’s deputy foreign minister, argued that the ball is “in America’s court to prove that they want to do a deal” and predicted the two sides will make progress if the US is sincere.

“We are ready to discuss this and other issues related to our program if they are ready to talk about sanctions,” Takht-Ravanchi told the BBC Sunday.

Takht-Ravanchi didn’t specify how much relief Iran would expect in order to make concessions on its atomic program.

President Trump has been building up a robust military presence in the Persian Gulf region in recent weeks, mirroring his buildup around Venezuela ahead of the Jan. 3 capture of strongman Nicolas Maduro.

Iran’s deputy foreign minister, Majid Takht-Ravanchi, signaled the regime is open to discussing its nuclear program. AFP via Getty Images
President Trump has long pursued a deal with Iran but has kept his military options on the table. STAN GILLILAND/EPA/Shutterstock

Trump, who claimed that the US “completely and totally obliterated” Tehran’s key nuclear facilities during the Operation Midnight Hammer bombing this past June, has refused to rule out military force if a deal is not reached.

“It seems like that would be the best thing that could happen,” Trump told reporters Friday when asked about the possibility of regime change in Iran.

When asked if the US could target the Tehran regime’s nuclear sites again, Trump replied, “If we do it, that would be the least of the mission.”

Iran has been working to rebuild the nuclear infrastructure that was destroyed during Operation Midnight Hammer. Planet Labs via REUTERS

Those remarks came two days after Trump met at the White House with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who reportedly urged the president to target Iran’s ballistic missile stockpile.

Iranian officials have repeatedly denied that they want to build a nuclear weapon. Before Operation Midnight Hammer, Iran had enriched uranium up to 60% purity, overcoming what experts describe as the largest hurdle towards achieving weapons-grade capability.

Tehran was rocked last month by sweeping protests over a currency devaluation and cost-of-living crisis, partly driven by the toll of US sanctions.

The theocratic regime massacred thousands of protesters over recent weeks. Iranian Supreme Leader'S Office via ZUMA Press / SplashNews.com

At least 7,015 protesters have been confirmed dead by the Human Rights Activists News Agency, with other estimates putting the death toll much higher.

US and Iranian officials held indirect talks in Oman earlier this month, with a second round is set to take place in Geneva on Tuesday, according to Takht-Ravanchi.

In 2018, Trump pulled the US out of the Obama-era Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), but has expressed openness to negotiating a new agreement.

Trump administration officials have made clear they’d like any new deal to address Iran’s ballistic missile program and funding of terrorist proxies, but Tehran has said such matters are not up for discussion.

“When we were attacked by Israelis and Americans, our missiles came to our rescue,” Takht-Ravanchi said Sunday. “So how can we accept depriving ourselves of our defensive capabilities?”

Read Entire Article