Here are all the tariffs staying in place after Supreme Court ruling

1 hour ago 2

The Supreme Court on Friday struck down a crucial batch of President Trump’s tariffs – but there are still plenty of high levies on certain industries that will stay in place.

Tariffs imposed under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) to crack down on trade imbalances and fentanyl smuggling surpassed Trump’s presidential authority, the Supreme Court ruled in a 6-3 decision.

The ruling does not, however, discard tariffs enacted by the Trump administration using Section 232 of the Trade Expansion Act of 1962 – a provision meant to protect US national security.

The Supreme Court on Friday struck down a massive batch of President Trump’s tariffs. Getty Images

Many of Trump’s so-called “reciprocal” tariffs on foreign nations have been tossed out, though the president has warned there are other ways for him to enforce the import taxes.

Here are all the industries still facing steep tariffs as of Friday.

Automotive

Foreign vehicles and auto parts are still facing 25% tariffs, which Trump slapped on the sector last year in an attempt to push automakers to boost manufacturing in the US.

The White House has reached deals with several foreign nations, including the UK and Japan, to lower these auto tariffs to 10% to 15%. The Trump administration also announced a deal with South Korea, though it is unclear whether rates on the nation have been lowered yet.


Here’s the latest on President Trump’s tariffs following Supreme Court ruling:


In the meantime, automakers based in the US and overseas have reported multi-billion dollar charges as they struggle to swallow the tariffs and rearrange their supply chains.

Mercedes-Benz last week said its 2025 earnings were more than halved on a massive $1.2 billion hit related to the tariffs – and warned that more challenges are on the way.

Foreign vehicles and auto parts are still facing tariffs after Friday’s decision. AP

Ford’s tariff bill last year was about $2 billion, and the company has said it’s expecting to incur similar charges this year.

“We are studying the effects of the Supreme Court’s decision and assessing its implications,” a Ford spokesperson told The Post in a Friday statement.

“We will continue to work with the Administration and Congress on policies that promote a strong and globally competitive US auto sector.”

General Motors reported a $3.1 billion tariff charge in 2025 and said it’s anticipating another $3 billion to $4 billion hit in 2026 – even as it works to ramp up US vehicle production.

Aluminum, often used by soda and beer brands who sell their drinks in cans, is still facing a 50% tariff. REUTERS

Nissan has also increased its domestic production plans, yet it still expects a roughly $2 billion hit to earnings in 2026.

Nissan said it is evaluating the impact of Friday’s decision on its business.

Furniture

Americans are also unlikely to see prices fall on furniture anytime soon. 

Trump last year slapped 25% tariffs on upholstered couches, kitchen cabinets and vanities using Section 232. The rate is set to jump to 50% in 2027.

Furniture is one of the most tariff-sensitive sectors, since the bulk of these goods are imported.

Trump also placed a 10% Section 232 tariff on timber and lumber imports.

The pharmaceutical industry could potentially face Section 232 tariffs. AFP via Getty Images

Steel and aluminum

Steel and aluminum imports are still facing 50% tariffs. 

That’s bad news for companies selling home appliances and electronics, as well as soda and beer brands that sell their drinks in aluminum cans.

Semiconductors

Trump’s 25% tariff on certain semiconductors and chipmaking equipment will also remain in place.

These tariffs took effect last month.

Pharmaceuticals

Trump has held off on slapping tariffs as high as 250% on pharmaceuticals after reaching deals with several major drugmakers. 

If he reverses this decision and places import taxes on foreign drugs, it would be using Section 232 – so these tariffs would remain in place.

In December, nine of the largest pharmaceutical companies – including Merck, Bristol Meyers Squibb, Amgen, Gilead, GSK, Sanofi, Genentech, Boehringer Ingelheim and Novartis – agreed to voluntarily lower drug prices to avoid tariffs for at least three years.

The tariff threats are an attempt to get drugmakers to increase US production.

Read Entire Article