Canada Warns Residents Their Phones May Be Searched at US Border

18 hours ago 4

The Canadian government issued a new warning for travelers entering the US, saying they should “expect scrutiny” at the border and that their phones and other electronic devices may be searched.

Author of the article:

Bloomberg News

Bloomberg News

Randy Thanthong-Knight

Published Apr 05, 2025  •  1 minute read

Vehicles in line to cross into the United States at the Canada-US border in St-Bernard-de-Lacolle, Quebec, Canada, on Friday, Feb. 28, 2025. President Donald Trump said 25% tariffs on Canada and Mexico are on track to go into place on March 4, and said he would impose an additional 10% tax on Chinese imports, moves that would deepen his fight with the largest US trading partners.Vehicles in line to cross into the United States at the Canada-US border in St-Bernard-de-Lacolle, Quebec, Canada, on Friday, Feb. 28, 2025. President Donald Trump said 25% tariffs on Canada and Mexico are on track to go into place on March 4, and said he would impose an additional 10% tax on Chinese imports, moves that would deepen his fight with the largest US trading partners. Photo by Andrej Ivanov /Bloomberg

(Bloomberg) — The Canadian government issued a new warning for travelers entering the US, saying they should “expect scrutiny” at the border and that their phones and other electronic devices may be searched. 

Article content

Article content

The updated travel advisory follows US President Donald Trump’s move to tighten border and immigration policy, which had already prompted similar travel advisories from countries including the UK, Germany and France. 

Advertisement 2

Financial Post

THIS CONTENT IS RESERVED FOR SUBSCRIBERS ONLY

Subscribe now to read the latest news in your city and across Canada.

  • Exclusive articles from Barbara Shecter, Joe O'Connor, Gabriel Friedman, and others.
  • Daily content from Financial Times, the world's leading global business publication.
  • Unlimited online access to read articles from Financial Post, National Post and 15 news sites across Canada with one account.
  • National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
  • Daily puzzles, including the New York Times Crossword.

SUBSCRIBE TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES

Subscribe now to read the latest news in your city and across Canada.

  • Exclusive articles from Barbara Shecter, Joe O'Connor, Gabriel Friedman and others.
  • Daily content from Financial Times, the world's leading global business publication.
  • Unlimited online access to read articles from Financial Post, National Post and 15 news sites across Canada with one account.
  • National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
  • Daily puzzles, including the New York Times Crossword.

REGISTER / SIGN IN TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES

Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.

  • Access articles from across Canada with one account.
  • Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.
  • Enjoy additional articles per month.
  • Get email updates from your favourite authors.

THIS ARTICLE IS FREE TO READ REGISTER TO UNLOCK.

Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.

  • Access articles from across Canada with one account
  • Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments
  • Enjoy additional articles per month
  • Get email updates from your favourite authors

Sign In or Create an Account

or

Article content

Trump’s economic and annexation threats against Canada have led to a marked drop in trips and bookings to the US by Canadians, who are the top source of international visitors, generating $20.5 billion in spending last year, according to the US Travel Association. The number of Canadian-resident return trips by car from the US plunged 23% in February from a year earlier, Statistics Canada said. 

“Comply and be forthcoming in all interactions with border authorities. If you are denied entry, you could be detained while awaiting deportation,” the Canadian government’s new travel advice states.

In March, a Canadian actress who attempted to renew her work visa was taken into US custody at the US-Mexico border and detained for 11 days, according to the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. That same month, a French scientist was refused entry to the US in a case the French government said was related to messages on his phone that were critical of Trump. The administration denied that, saying the scientist was carrying an electronic device that contained confidential information from a US laboratory. 

Article content

Read Entire Article