Much has been said about RJ Luis Jr. and his decision to leave St. John’s following their March Madness ouster, and his mother has had enough.
Taking to X on Tuesday, Verito Luis responded to a St. John’s fan account that suggested the now-former Red Storm star had become a “prima donna” amid the increased media coverage, and a “cancer” to the program.
“This is the first time I am replying to someone that has something negative to say and you will be the 1st one. Do me a big favor keep my son name out of your mouth. Thank you Mama Luis,” Verito wrote.
Luis declared for the NBA draft or transfer to another school, but his career in Queens is over.
Joel Soriano, who played for St. John’s from 2021-24, defended his former teammate on the platform.
“Never has been that kid and never will be,” Soriano said of Luis. “For the 1 year i was with RJ he been positive and always team first so whoever said this tell them to get a life respectfully.”
Soriano, who graduated from St. John’s and is now playing in the G-League for the Greensboro Swarm, was the second-leading scorer and top rebounder in Rick Pitino’s first season as coach of the Red Storm.
Luis entered the transfer portal last weekend and will test the NBA draft waters.
He averaged 18.2 points, 7.2 rebounds, and 2.0 assists per game in a massive breakout season, during which he won Big East Player of the Year.
In what was a nightmare finish to his St. John’s career, he shot 3-17 from the field in a second-round loss to Arkansas in the NCAA Tournament, where he was benched in the game’s final moments.
Pitino has no regrets over his decision and said it was “100 percent” the right call in a clip from the Vice show documenting the Red Storm’s season that was exclusively obtained by The Post.
Luis took accountability for the disastrous showing after the 75-66 loss last month.
“I should’ve been more of a leader,” Luis said. “That’s on me.”