Newmont spars with Barrick on Nevada venture as notice sent

1 hour ago 3
A large haul truck pulls into a maintenance bay at Barrick’s new Cortez Hills mine in Nevada.Denver-based Newmont has been critical of Barrick’s management after output declines and rising costs. Photo by Handout/Barrick Ming Corp./Postmedia files

Article content

Newmont Corp. sent Barrick Mining Corp. a so-called notice of default after finding evidence of alleged mismanagement at a Nevadajoint venture, escalating tensions between the partners in a key United States mining region.

Financial Post

THIS CONTENT IS RESERVED FOR SUBSCRIBERS ONLY

Subscribe now to read the latest news in your city and across Canada.

  • Exclusive articles from Barbara Shecter, Joe O'Connor, Gabriel Friedman, and others.
  • Daily content from Financial Times, the world's leading global business publication.
  • Unlimited online access to read articles from Financial Post, National Post and 15 news sites across Canada with one account.
  • National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
  • Daily puzzles, including the New York Times Crossword.

SUBSCRIBE TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES

Subscribe now to read the latest news in your city and across Canada.

  • Exclusive articles from Barbara Shecter, Joe O'Connor, Gabriel Friedman and others.
  • Daily content from Financial Times, the world's leading global business publication.
  • Unlimited online access to read articles from Financial Post, National Post and 15 news sites across Canada with one account.
  • National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
  • Daily puzzles, including the New York Times Crossword.

REGISTER / SIGN IN TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES

Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.

  • Access articles from across Canada with one account.
  • Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.
  • Enjoy additional articles per month.
  • Get email updates from your favourite authors.

THIS ARTICLE IS FREE TO READ REGISTER TO UNLOCK.

Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.

  • Access articles from across Canada with one account
  • Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments
  • Enjoy additional articles per month
  • Get email updates from your favourite authors

Sign In or Create an Account

or

Article content

Barrick allegedly diverted resources from the Nevada Gold Mines venture to benefit its wholly owned Fourmile project, Denver-based Newmont said in a filing to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on Thursday.

Article content

Article content

Article content

After informing Barrick of the alleged issue last month, Newmont sent Barrick the notice in early February, the filing said. Under the companies’ 2019 joint-venture agreement, a partner accused of breaching the pact typically has 30 days to remedy the issue or begin corrective action. If a dispute isn’t resolved, it may be taken to court in Nevada, according to the agreement.

Article content

By signing up you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc.

Article content

“While we disagree with Newmont’s claims, we are limited by the terms of the joint venture agreement in what we can say,” Barrick chief executive Mark Hill said in a statement to Bloomberg News. “We are committed to constructive engagement and to working together with Newmont to deliver shareholder value.”

Article content

Newmont shares slid 2.7 per cent as of 12:20 p.m. Friday in New York, while Barrick was down 1.8 per cent.

Article content

“The terms for resolving such disputes are laid out in the JV agreement,” Citigroup Inc. analyst Alexander Hacking said in a note. “But we believe this will likely be viewed by investors as part of ongoing negotiation/positioning over the future of NGM.”

Article content

Newmont’s actions may complicate Barrick’s plans to separate its North American assets and sell a 10 per cent to 15 per cent stake in the new company later this year. A spinoff would include its interest in the Nevada venture known as NGM — of which Barrick owns 61.5 per cent and Newmont 38.5 per cent — along with the Fourmile project and a mine in the Dominican Republic, another collaboration with Newmont.

Article content

Article content

Newmont wants Barrick to address what it sees as underperformance at the Nevada assets before going ahead with the IPO, Bloomberg News reported last week, citing people familiar with the matter. The miner has been critical of Barrick’s management after output declines and rising costs, the people said.

Article content

Article content

In its 10-K filing to the SEC, Newmont said: “Although we continue to work with Barrick to improve the performance of NGM and will take appropriate steps to address this matter, any such disagreements could have a material adverse effect on our interest in NGM, the business of NGM or the portion of our growth strategy related to NGM.”

Article content

Newmont chief executive Natascha Viljoen highlighted a focus on improving the Nevada operations during an earnings call with analysts on Thursday.

Article content

“Discussions have been predominantly around the improvement of the performance of Nevada, and, I think, a very constructive relationship to work together to improve that performance — which we believe would be in the best interest of all of our shareholders,” she said.

Article content

Article content

Loading...

We apologize, but this video has failed to load.

Article content

Read Entire Article