Cops looking into the mysterious death of a fashion mogul reportedly began probing his son after finding several inconsistencies at the crime scene, including signs that the billionaire had “launched himself” off the cliff.
Isak Andic, the 71-year-old founder of the clothing empire Mango, died on Dec. 14, 2024 after falling 500 feet from a cliff near his home in northern Spain.
His son 45-year-old Jonathan, who was the only other person with him at the time, was arrested Tuesday for his death but has yet to be charged. A judge found there was “sufficient evidence to consider the suspect criminally responsible for the offense of homicide” in releasing a report the same day.
The son has proclaimed his innocence, and his family issued a statement defending him on Tuesday.
The judge’s report reveals that several suspicious pieces of evidence led cops to investigate Jonathan Andic for his father’s murder.
The judge found there was “sufficient evidence to consider the suspect criminally responsible for the offense of homicide,” the report states.
Isak Andic was an experienced hiker who loved the outdoors, and on the day of his death, he was traversing a relatively pedestrian route in the Montserrat National Park with his son, which was a popular site with families and school groups, the report determined, according to the Wall Street Journal and BBC News.
A footmark where Jonathan Andic said his father fell also didn’t support the theory that he slipped to his death, according to the judge’s findings.
Isak Andic’s injuries were inconsistent with an accidental fall, while forensics found it appeared “as if he had launched himself down a slide, feet first,” the report concluded.
Spanish authorities discovered other alleged inconsistencies in his son’s testimony.
At first, he stated that he was walking ahead of his father and didn’t see him fall, but later claimed they were walking together, according to the report.
Jonathan Andic initially told police his father had been taking pictures with his phone moments before he fell, but Isak Andic’s cellphone was discovered in his pocket when the body was recovered, according to authorities.
He reported that his own phone had been stolen during a brief trip to Ecuador, around the same time the media reported the probe into his father’s death being reopened in October 2025.
The son also made three separate visits to the site of the fall in the week prior to his father’s death, raising suspicions that he was carrying out “a planning and study of the site,” according to the judge.
Pointing to the strained relationship between father and son, the judge noted that Isak Andic’s death “may have been non-accidental with active and premeditated involvement.”
No suspected motive has been given for the alleged murder, but the report noted that Jonathan Andic had found out his father planned to change his will.
In mid-2024, Jonathan Andic became aware of his dad’s intention to change his will and create a foundation to help people in need.
It was at this point that Jonathan Andic reportedly tried to improve his relationship with Isak Andic, proposing the hike as a way of the two reconnecting.
Jonathan Andic, who is now chairman of the family holding company, posted bail of $1.16 million shortly after his arrest.
If charged with homicide, he faces a jury trial — the timing of which is unclear — which would place one of Spain’s richest families back in the spotlight.
At the time of his death, Isak Andic — who was born to a Jewish family in Turkey before making his fortune in Spain — was worth roughly $4.5 billion, according to Forbes.

1 hour ago
3
English (US)