Lululemon founder says he’ll be ‘constructive’ to solve dispute

10 hours ago 3
The B.C. Parks Foundation will be unveiling its biggest ever donation, which will allow the purchase and permanent protection of 311 hectares of pristine habitat in three locations stretching from the far North East Rocky Mountain foothills to the far South East deserts of B.C. Donor, apparently Chip Wilson and Summer Wilson, through their Wilson 5 FoundationThe B.C. Parks Foundation will be unveiling its biggest ever donation, which will allow the purchase and permanent protection of 311 hectares of pristine habitat in three locations stretching from the far North East Rocky Mountain foothills to the far South East deserts of B.C. Donor, apparently Chip Wilson and Summer Wilson, through their Wilson 5 Foundation Photo by Francis Georgian / PNG staff photographer

Article content

Chip Wilson, the billionaire founder of Lululemon Athletica Inc., responded to criticism from the company, saying he’s looking for a constructive path forward and suggested a resolution could be reached.

Financial Post

THIS CONTENT IS RESERVED FOR SUBSCRIBERS ONLY

Subscribe now to read the latest news in your city and across Canada.

  • Exclusive articles from Barbara Shecter, Joe O'Connor, Gabriel Friedman, and others.
  • Daily content from Financial Times, the world's leading global business publication.
  • Unlimited online access to read articles from Financial Post, National Post and 15 news sites across Canada with one account.
  • National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
  • Daily puzzles, including the New York Times Crossword.

SUBSCRIBE TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES

Subscribe now to read the latest news in your city and across Canada.

  • Exclusive articles from Barbara Shecter, Joe O'Connor, Gabriel Friedman and others.
  • Daily content from Financial Times, the world's leading global business publication.
  • Unlimited online access to read articles from Financial Post, National Post and 15 news sites across Canada with one account.
  • National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
  • Daily puzzles, including the New York Times Crossword.

REGISTER / SIGN IN TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES

Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.

  • Access articles from across Canada with one account.
  • Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.
  • Enjoy additional articles per month.
  • Get email updates from your favourite authors.

THIS ARTICLE IS FREE TO READ REGISTER TO UNLOCK.

Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.

  • Access articles from across Canada with one account
  • Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments
  • Enjoy additional articles per month
  • Get email updates from your favourite authors

Sign In or Create an Account

or

Article content

“There is no reason why we cannot reach a resolution to this fight quickly,” Wilson said in a statement on Monday. “The board has not provided me with detail on where our disagreements lie right now, but as of Friday last week, we seemed to be in full agreement on the principal terms.”

Article content

Article content

Article content

Wilson said he’s been in negotiations with Chip Bergh, who’s in contention to become a board member, about a series of proposals, mostly related to the composition of the board.

Article content

By signing up you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc.

Article content

Wilson, who is one of Lululemon’s largest shareholders but no longer holds any formal role with the company, has applied pressure for changes to the board, arguing the retailer needs new directors to help find a way out of a sales slowdown that’s hit the stock.

Article content

Earlier Monday, Lululemon rejected Wilson’s overtures to install new board members in a letter to investors. It set a shareholder vote for next month on its preferred slate of directors. The athletic-wear maker said Wilson has hurt shareholders with his criticisms of the board and that his nomination of three directors is an attempt to regain influence over the company.

Article content

“He has been attacking the company and the board for many years, even when the company’s performance was stellar,” the retailer said in its letter. “Mr. Wilson has outdated perspectives about how to position lululemon and the future of the company, as well as troubling conflicts of interest.

Article content

Article content

Wilson said that he’s “undeterred and willing to be constructive,” adding that his experience in the industry is valuable and he wants to make sure the board “has the right skills.”

Article content

Article content

“As I told Chip Bergh over email, my hope is simply to have a regular dialogue like any large shareholder,” Wilson said.

Article content

The retailer recently named Heidi O’Neill, a former Nike Inc. executive, as its chief executive officer. She’ll assume the role in September.

Article content

Investors will vote on the three competing board nominees from the company and Wilson on June 25 at the annual meeting. In making its case to shareholders, Lululemon said its preferred slate of directors is essential to help O’Neill revive growth.

Article content

Shares of Lululemon rose less than one per cent at 2:55 p.m. in New York trading on Monday. The stock had declined 43 per cent this year through Friday’s close, compared with a roughly eight per cent gain for the S&P 500 Index.

Article content

Article content

Read Entire Article