Luigi Mangione’s state murder trial won’t start next month as planned — as he tries to avoid it entirely in light of his surprise guilty plea in his federal case.
Jury selection in the 28-year-old admitted killer’s Manhattan Supreme Court trial had been set to start September 8.
But Justice Gregory Carro on Monday pushed Mangione’s next appearance date to December 10, postponing the trial indefinitely, court records show.
Mangione wants the state case tossed due to his federal plea, arguing it would constitute “double jeopardy” — being tried for the same crime twice.
But the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office has said it will lobby to keep its case alive.
Carro has ordered the DA’s office to file its arguments with the court by October 9, with Mangione’s response due on the 30th.
Mangione matter-of-factly pleaded guilty last week to two federal stalking counts that each carry a potential life sentence.
“On the morning of December 4, 2024, I shot Mr. Thompson in Manhattan, and he died,” the scion of a prominent Maryland family told the court.
He’s set to be sentenced in the federal case on December 18.
He is charged with second-degree murder and illegal weapons possession in the state case.
This is a breaking story. Please check back for updates.

1 hour ago
3
English (US)