Do the right thing! OPSEU/SEFPO calls on Ford to fund community and social services and avert a strike

45 minutes ago 2

Article content

Toronto, May 22, 2026 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Unless the Ford government immediately provides funding for services that vulnerable people rely on, workers at 27 community organizations and agencies across the province are poised to go on strike, some as early as Saturday.

Financial Post

THIS CONTENT IS RESERVED FOR SUBSCRIBERS ONLY

Subscribe now to read the latest news in your city and across Canada.

  • Exclusive articles from Barbara Shecter, Joe O'Connor, Gabriel Friedman, and others.
  • Daily content from Financial Times, the world's leading global business publication.
  • Unlimited online access to read articles from Financial Post, National Post and 15 news sites across Canada with one account.
  • National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
  • Daily puzzles, including the New York Times Crossword.

SUBSCRIBE TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES

Subscribe now to read the latest news in your city and across Canada.

  • Exclusive articles from Barbara Shecter, Joe O'Connor, Gabriel Friedman and others.
  • Daily content from Financial Times, the world's leading global business publication.
  • Unlimited online access to read articles from Financial Post, National Post and 15 news sites across Canada with one account.
  • National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
  • Daily puzzles, including the New York Times Crossword.

REGISTER / SIGN IN TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES

Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.

  • Access articles from across Canada with one account.
  • Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.
  • Enjoy additional articles per month.
  • Get email updates from your favourite authors.

THIS ARTICLE IS FREE TO READ REGISTER TO UNLOCK.

Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.

  • Access articles from across Canada with one account
  • Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments
  • Enjoy additional articles per month
  • Get email updates from your favourite authors

Sign In or Create an Account

or

Article content

Workers say it’s a fight for the future of the services they provide. Chronic underfunding has resulted in people falling through the cracks, and families have struggled to access support.

Article content

Article content

“Workers are standing together because we care deeply about the people we support and future of publicly-funded services,” said Tannis McGinn, Chair of the Child Treatment Divisional Executive and Chair of the Worth Fighting For Working Group. 

Article content

Article content

“We have been pushed to a breaking point and workers are carrying a crumbling system on our backs.”

Article content

By signing up you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc.

Article content

More than 4,500 workers, members of OPSEU/SEFPO, gave strike notice earlier in May. Workers have been bargaining with their individual employers – non-profit agencies and organizations that are primarily funded by the provincial government.

Article content

Workers at some agencies are set to begin strike action as early as Saturday, with most strikes starting at 12:01 am on Monday, May 25th.

Article content

“These workers aren’t in these jobs for the money. They do this work because they care. But without being able to pay their bills, workers can’t stay in these critical jobs. It’s time for this government to stop taking advantage of their dedication and commitment to their communities,” said JP Hornick, President of OPSEU/SEFPO.

Article content

Worker demands include retroactive pay for stolen wages by Premier Ford’s unconstitutional Bill 124, which capped wage increases at one per cent during a time of skyrocketing cost of living. While many public sector workers have received retroactive wage increases of 6.5 per cent or more since Bill 124 was ruled unconstitutional and repealed, workers in community and social services are still waiting.

Article content

Article content

At the same time, funding for community and social services continues to fall, with the Financial Accountability Office highlighting a $1.5 billion budget shortfall for the Ministry of Community and Social Services in 2025/2026.

Article content

“The Ford government cannot pretend this is simply a dispute between unions and individual employers,” added Hornick. “Employers are telling us clearly that the funding is not there. The government is responsible for funding these vital services that our communities depend on. Compared to the billions of dollars in questionable spending and privatization schemes, doing what’s right to make these workers whole amounts to pocket change.”

Article content

Article content

Article content

Article content

Article content

Article content

Jolene Cushman, OPSEU/SEFPO Communications Ontario Public Service Employees Union / Syndicat des employés de la fonction publique de l'Ontario (OPSEU/SEFPO) (416) 518-2368  [email protected]

Article content

Read Entire Article