Author of the article:
The Canadian Press
Ashley Joannou
Published Apr 03, 2025 • 1 minute read
Recipients of two British Columbia programs aimed at making rent more affordable for seniors and families in need will see a bump in their subsidies starting this month.
Article content
Article content
The province says the average family supplement under the Rental Assistance Program will go from $400 to $700 per month while qualifying seniors under the Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters, or SAFER, program will receive, on average, another $145 a month for a total of $337.
Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon says the household income eligibility limit for the Rental Assistance Program is increasing to $60,000 from $40,000 while the qualifying limit for the seniors’ program is now $40,000, up from $37,240.
Advertisement 2
THIS CONTENT IS RESERVED FOR SUBSCRIBERS ONLY
Subscribe now to read the latest news in your city and across Canada.
- Exclusive articles from Barbara Shecter, Joe O'Connor, Gabriel Friedman, and others.
- Daily content from Financial Times, the world's leading global business publication.
- Unlimited online access to read articles from Financial Post, National Post and 15 news sites across Canada with one account.
- National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
- Daily puzzles, including the New York Times Crossword.
SUBSCRIBE TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES
Subscribe now to read the latest news in your city and across Canada.
- Exclusive articles from Barbara Shecter, Joe O'Connor, Gabriel Friedman and others.
- Daily content from Financial Times, the world's leading global business publication.
- Unlimited online access to read articles from Financial Post, National Post and 15 news sites across Canada with one account.
- National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
- Daily puzzles, including the New York Times Crossword.
REGISTER / SIGN IN TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES
Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.
- Access articles from across Canada with one account.
- Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.
- Enjoy additional articles per month.
- Get email updates from your favourite authors.
THIS ARTICLE IS FREE TO READ REGISTER TO UNLOCK.
Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.
- Access articles from across Canada with one account
- Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments
- Enjoy additional articles per month
- Get email updates from your favourite authors
Sign In or Create an Account
or
Article content
The increase to SAFER is the latest bump to the program over the last several years but stops short of the full revamp that the province’s seniors advocate called for last year.
Advocate Dan Levitt says he’s pleased the subsidy is being increased but noted that it’s not tied to the province’s allowable rent increases, nor to inflation.
Kahlon says the changes mean more people will get help during a time of high costs of living and amid uncertainty over the trade war with the United States.
“With the new uncertainties that come with tariffs, it is seniors and low-income families that are going to face the brunt of a lot of those tariffs and the impacts of those,” he said.
“We’ve already been hearing from a lot of seniors who are really concerned because they have pensions and they’re seeing the stock market continue to collapse, and what does that mean for them in retirement?”
This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 3, 2025
Article content