49ers coach Kyle Shanahan’s official crash report finally released

1 hour ago 3

Authorities finally released an incident report related to the car crash that left San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan with significant injuries.

Records from the Palo Alto Fire Department obtained by The California Post on Thursday showed that first responders arrived at the scene of the wreck in the Silicon Valley city at around 6:11 p.m. on July 14.

San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan suffered broken ribs, a broken nose and a broken hand in the accident. AP Photo/Jeff Chiu

The accident involved “two 4-door sedans” that had collided “head-on,” officials wrote in the document. Both cars sustained “moderate/significant frontend damage,” they added.

Additionally, authorities stated in the report that airbags were deployed and fluid from the cars had spilled onto the roadway.

“There are no signs of smoke/fire coming from either vehicle,” the document said. “PAPD is on scene speaking to both drivers.”

Shanahan said that the incident was entirely his fault. AP Photo/Kelley L. Cox
Shanahan pictured with a cast on his hand after the crash. CA Post

The Palo Alto Police Department had “shut down/diverted” traffic in the area to get a better handle on the crash scene, according to the report.

Neither Shanahan nor the other driver were named in the document. A section labeled “Medical” was fully redacted.

The report is the first official document related to the crash that authorities have released since the accident occurred. The Palo Alto Police Department previously denied requests for an incident report, as well as 911 audio and body camera footage, writing in a rejection letter to The Post that “the records requested are exempt from disclosure under the California Public Records Act pursuant to” multiple California Government Codes.

Shanahan was limited to 49ers training camp, but he appeared to return to his normal duties in August. AP Photo/Ryan Sun

Dispatch audio revealed the crash involved a black Tesla and a blue Mercedes, and a California collision report database showed the other driver was a 21-year-old female.

Shanahan went on to say in a July 28 meeting with reporters that the incident was entirely his fault.

“I was going 20 miles an hour,” he said. “I was not on my phone, but I dropped my phone and it was stuck in my seats. It’s on my lap, and it slid off. And I went down to look for it and took my eyes off the road for two seconds. And as I was coming up, the airbags hit me in my face.”

He added that the road was one with “no forgiveness.”

“When I hit her,” he said, “the impact was just so, I’ll just never forget how violent it was.”

Shanahan suffered broken ribs, a broken nose and a broken hand in the accident. He also sustained a concussion and a cut on his face that needed 40 stitches to close.

He was limited to 49ers training camp, but he appeared to return to his normal duties in August.

Read Entire Article